Below is a link to a 3.25 minute piece played by Emmanuel Pahud, one of the foremost flute performers of our time. I would like for each student to view this at least once before our next lesson, with these observations in mind:
1. What is the setting? (orchestral solo)
2. Describe Mr. Pahud's flute
3. Would you describe the piece as lyrical or technical?
4. Make note of Mr. Pahud's embouchure and hand position
5. Listen carefully to his tone. How would you describe it?
6. What other instruments do you see, and what are they doing?
For bonus work, students may research Emmanuel Pahud, listen to more videos of his playing, or listen to more of the Carmen opera. Students may use part of their practice time to complete this assignment.